For an early twenty something like myself, my reality is somewhere between dreaming of the future and trying to pay tomorrows bills. It’s hard to answer the question of “What are you doing with your life?” and “Why are you still living here?” I’ve found it hard recently to be consistent in the excellence of my work because well, sometimes it’s hard to be excellent when you don’t feel like you’re on top of the world.
So how do you combat this? How in your early twenties, when you’re still trying to figure out life do we stay focused on the path ahead? How do we maintain excellence when we really don’t feel up to it?
1. It’s In The Small Decisions We Make In Our Personal World.
The small decisions affect where we go and who we’ll become. Sometimes as we go through colleges or internships we get lost in trying to prepare and create our public, corporate profile. We often forget that the key to a successful public profile is a solid personal stance for character and integrity. Sometimes we don’t realize that our stance on character and integrity in our own lives will shape what happens to us publicly.
2. It’s In The Small Things We Take Note In Other People.
Have you ever met someone and you immediately thought…wow, I don’t want to be anything like them? Maybe you’ve interned or worked for a company who did it all wrong? Take note. These experiences will help shape how you treat your one day interns and run your company.
3. It’s In The Small Things We Do.
Jesus said it best:
“Jesus went on to make these comments: If you’re honest in the small things, you’ll be honest in the big things; If you’re a crook in the small things, you’ll be a crook in the big things. If you’re not honest in small jobs, who will put you in charge of the store? “
– Luke 16:10 MSG
It’s all in the small things. What we do day in and day out that make us excellent.
Thoughts About Excellence:
- Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way.
- Excellence is not perfection.
- Excellence is an effort, not perfection.
- While some people have greatness thrust upon them, excellence is learned.
- The only person who can see if you are striving for excellence, is you.
How to achieve Excellence in your everyday life:
- Associate yourself with people of excellence.
- Find people to call you out and hold you accountable to excellence.
- Don’t allow yourself and others to get away with substandard levels.
- Give yourself consequences for not achieving daily levels of excellence.